Canine Good Citizen
The Canine Good Citizen (CGC) program is only run by accredited, qualified trainers registered with the Delta Society. CGC classes are the culmination of past training, requiring both owner and dog to display specific behaviours at a high level of expertise.
This group class is kept small - a group of no more than 6 dogs in a class - to ensure we can give you the attention you require. We focus on 11 key areas that enable your dog to display that he is a 'Canine Good Citizen' and a 12th exercise allowing you, as the owner, to demonstrate you understand what is involved in respondible dog ownership.
- Road Safety
- Out For A Walk
- Grooming and Veterinary Exam
- Accepting a Friendly Stranger & Sitting Politely For Petting
- Controlled Walk
- Walking Through A Crowd & Reaction To Distraction
- Praise & Interaction
- Stay In Position
- Reaction To Another Dog
- Release Dog & Recall
- Supervised Tolerance To Separation
- Canine Good Citizen – Responsible Pet Ownership Written Test
The class consists of 7 x 1 hour lessons with the ability to take the CGC test in week 8 if you wish to and if you and your dog are deemed ready by the instructor. Taking the test is not mandatory and some people prefer to complete the 7 weeks training without the stress of the test in week 8. The cost of the course is $150, to be paid in full at the time of enrollment. This course is run subject to a minimum of 3 enrolled students. If you choose to take the test and pass, there may be other costs involved in attaining certificates and leads from the Delta Society, which will be explained upon enrollment.
Classes are held saturdays and subject to demand, an evening class may also be offered during daylight savings.
What do I need to complete a course?
- A pet dog aged 12 months or older.
- Your dog must have basic obedience/good manners skills – it is recommended you have attended a Level 1 course with a Delta trainer previously.
- to be 16 years or older (children aged 8-15 may assist an adult with training but must be in the company of an adult at all times).
- an appropriate leash and collar for your dog.
What do I receive?
- 7 x 1 hour classes (the first of which is a dog free, owners only class)
- a Life Lessons On Leash graduation certificate for you and a small 'doggy gift bag' for your dog
- the skills to attempt the Canine Good Citizen test if appropriate
- a dog with the necessary 'life skills' to be an active member of your life.